Strong winds and heavy rain as Storm Bella approaches.
Written by Dan Williams on 26th December 2020
Weather warnings and flood warnings are in place as Storm Bella approaches.
Yellow weather warnings are in place by Met Office as Storm Bella approaches. The weather warnings are for Wind and Rain starting from 15:00 leading into Sunday 27th December.
Heavy rain combined with strong winds may lead to some disruption and flooding in places.
Very windy weather is expected for parts of England, Wales and the far south of Scotland, leading to disruption to transport and utilities.
Natural Resources Wales has also put a number of flood alerts in place across Wales. As of 13:54, Torfaen is not included in the flood warnings or alerts issued by Natural Resources Wales.
Strong westerly winds increase to gales throughout the day. Patchy rain, mostly in the south, slowly confines itself to coastal areas by lunch. Brighter spells in the north and along the border. Maximum temperature 10 °C.
Widespread gales turn severe along coasts. Squally showers at first then continuous, long lasting, heavy rain overnight, as Storm Bella arrives, clearing in the early hours. Minimum temperature 3 °C.
What to expect:
- Spray and flooding will lead to difficult driving conditions and some road closures
- Where flooding occurs, there is a chance of delays or cancellations to train and bus services
- There is a small chance that homes and businesses could be flooded, causing damage to some buildings, this more especially in parts of Wales
- There is a small chance of fast flowing or deep floodwater, particularly in parts of Wales.
- Road, rail, air and ferry services may be affected, with longer journey times and cancellations possible
- Some roads and bridges may close
- Power cuts may occur, with the potential to affect other services, such as mobile phone coverage
- Injuries and danger to life could occur from large waves and beach material being thrown onto sea fronts, coastal roads and properties
- Some damage to buildings, such as tiles blown from roofs, could happen